Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do LED Christmas Strings Go Out In Sections Like Regular Minis?

On 12/07/2015 03:19 PM, wrote:

[snip]

If this is true, then do the LED "home bulbs" with multiple LEDs have
series wiring? (meaning the ones you screw in place of a regular
lightbulb on your ceiling).

I know this is not the case for battery operated LEDs. I have a 72 LED
stick type flashlight, and it's very bright, (but eats batteries). For
some reason, one of the LEDs burned out. The others work fine.

As I said earlier, a LED is a voltage regulator. Multiple LEDs in series
regulate to a higher voltage. The series string on 120V requires less
power to be wasted (to maintain LED current).

Almost the same thing would apply to incandescents if you only had 3V bulbs.

BTW, a series of 25 (or more) LEDs need the same amount of current as
one LED, just at a higher voltage.

--
17 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"There's no more proof for the existence of God than there is for the
existence of the Easter Bunny. That's right. The Easter ****ing Bunny."
[Stryder, on alt.atheism]