Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default does a reliable power vent hot water heater exist?

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 1:38:42 PM UTC-5, Don Wiss wrote:
On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 18:05:35 -0500, Don Wiss wrote:

A couple parts in my A.O. Smith Power Vent Design GPHE-50 hot water heater
have failed. I don't have the parts cost yet, but the fellow estimates they
will cost $700-800. As it is seven years old, it probably makes more sense
to replace the whole unit.

I got some prices. The warranty on my existing heater is six years. The
parts costs are (with labor):
motor $713
pressure switch $190
total $903

The same high efficiency unit is $2875. The regular one is $1895. And it
will come with a 10 year warranty.

With natural gas prices so low a high efficiency makes no sense.

I have a choice of Bradford White or AO Smith for the same price. Model
numbers not yet available. The HVAC guy (who is also my plumber) says the
two manufacturers are the same. Are they?

You can buy a direct vent water heater starting at ~$900. Buy one
and put in in yourself. Typical direct vent is already high enough
efficiency, you'd never recover the extra $1000 cost. A $1000 saved.
I know you're in NY, but this is still nuts, IMO. I can see those
prices for a new install, where the venting needs to be run, etc.
But not for a replacement. Same thing for the motor. If it just needs
a part or two, buy them online, Ebay, etc, put them in yourself.