Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cast Iron

Got the new camera battery in ... here are some pics of the cast iron
repairs I'm working on . The faucet will have to be reworked , this time
it'll be preheated and the weld will be peened as it cols .
The stove grates are in much worse shape than I thought they would be ,
butI think they can be repaired . There are descriptions on the photos ,
these parts will be preheated and kept hot while I'm working them . I'm
probably going to have to heat both parts and alternate working on them to
keep the temps up . I'll be using the Invar TIG rod that Dan sent me for
this repair because it's more ductile than cast iron and shrinkage is less ,
putting less tension on the part as each weld is done . Welds will be
lightly peened as they cool - it might not be really necessary , but it
surely can't hurt .

--
Snag