Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Trembleur

On 12/8/2015 6:14 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

On 12/3/2015 9:13 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Hey Jack - I have a better than average clue on this stuff. I fix this
stuff. I modify the idiot designs from the factory in the hope of reducing
further decay (though there really is no fixing rust...) but it is so easy
to see how/why these problems occur, and they all start at the factory - not
in your garage.

No doubt design has a lot to do with creating rust buckets like my GMC
truck,

Not design, surface treatment. Lots of zinc in the primer and you get a
lot less rust. That's the main reason modern cars last so long, much
much improved paint.

Mike and I were not talking about surface rust, paint today does a good
job on that. The design issues are with things like the rocker panels,
quarter panels and bumpers, holding dirt and water on the inside. My
GMC rusted out in the rocker panels, same as my '55 Ford did, from the
inside out. The bumper on the GMC looked good on the outside, other
than a tiny rusty discoloration on the outside chrome. The inside
however was rusted all the way through. I think the front bumper is in
the same boat.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com