Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Sunbeam Electric Blankets Keep Failing

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 08:54:25 -0500, Peter wrote:

On 12/7/2015 1:25 AM, Micky wrote:

But when I do use it, I note that though the control goes from 1 to
10, I can't put it any higher than 1, or I can't take the heat.
This would be in a room that is 67 degrees. I think if the room
were 32, 6 would still be too hot. I'm sure it just turns on full
power, and then off, but I haven't measure the watts used.

I'd had two problems with Sunbeam electric blanket controllers that I
was able to fix myself. (1) The comfort zone corresponded to about
number 1/2, and (2) the bedding would go from uncomfortably cold to
uncomfortably hot before the thermostat would cycle.

I think I'm happy using 1, but people are always happy when they don't
know better. I'll certainly look into issue 1, and the next one (2)
too. Thanks.

To fix problem number 1, I removed the control dial by peeling off the
decal in the middle, unscrewing the screw that holds the dial to the
control stem and pulling the dial up. I repositioned the dial on the
stem (only serrated inserts, no orientation key to prevent reinsertion
at any amount of rotation) so that my comfort zone corresponds to #5 on
the dial, pushed the dial back down and reinserted the screw.

To fix problem #2, I removed the bottom plate of the control unit by
taking out the two small Phillips head screws. I turned an adjusting
screw on the thermostat relay to narrow the gap between the relay arms,
thereby reducing the temperature deviation required to cycle the
thermostat. CAUTION: The adjustment screw will have 120V if the
controller is plugged in. Either use an insulated screwdriver or unplug
the controller before attempting this. You can tell when the gap is
appropriate by turning the adjustment screw and then rotating the
temperature control dial back and forth. You should aim for a position
of the relay arms to cause the relay to open/close with less than a 1
number rotation of the temperature control dial. Before I did this, I
was getting a 2-3 number deviation.

I've seen newer model controllers that may not yield to these fixes. My
model is 10-15 years old and the controller is a rectangular solid with
the temperature control dial at the very top of the box with a serrated
knob on top to turn it, and a metal bottom plate underneath the controller.