Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default Trembleur

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 10:41:32 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 12/3/2015 1:01 PM, Markem wrote:
On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 09:45:12 -0500, Jack wrote:

I will agree though that the paint on the outside holds up great today,
just that underneath, it's buy a new car every few years or watch it
self destruct from the inside out. Ford has an aluminum truck now, so
the rocker panels should last, not sure about the what parts of the
truck are designed to fail, but you can bet they make sure it will not
last.

The salt on the roads will affect Fords "military grade aluminum"
F150s. Won't rust but it will pit and oxidize and degrade over time.

Perhaps, but if the paint stays on, the pitting will be on the inside,
just like the rust on my GMC Truck. As long as it doesn't disintegrate,
like the steel on my GMC, it will be a good thing.

The difference between iron rust and aluminum oxidation is that AlO2
is impervious to moisture and oxygen. Iron rust keeps rusting. There
are steels that have impervious oxides, as well, but AFAIK they're not
used in the automotive industry.