Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Jeff
Liebermann escribió:

http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/nooze/support.txt

Good fun. Thanks for posting that.

Number 10 reminded me of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lp0_on_fire

Ah, we had a couple of those. We had a fairly large 360 system at
Washington University. 1401 and 7094, then 360/50 and then 360/65.

One of the routines that made one think of CIA dead drops in the middle of
the night was the routine for printing paychecks. (I guess vendor checks
were similar, too.) They had the box of continuous form checks locked in a
bank vault in the basement of the administration building. The box was
taped shut with signatures across the seal. When they opened the box, two
people had to be present and they had to sign a log sheet with the serial
number of the top check. They carried the box to the computer center,
loaded it into the printer and the program printed a sample form with VOID--
VOID--VOID all across it, but other info in the right place so they could
align the forms. When all was OK, they told the program to print the
checks. Then, they had to fill out and sign the log sheet reporting which
forms serial # were used in the aligning process and the first and last
forms serial # of the printed check run. Then the whole process was
reversed to get the box sealed and locked into the vault. During the whole
process, nobody was ever supposed to leave the side of the printer.

Well, imagine the confusion when in the middle of the print run the printer
started sparking and set the continuous forms checks on fire! I heard about
this 2nd hand, but apparently the accounting guys were running around like
decapitated chickens! They didn't even know how to properly log what had
happened.

I'm pretty sure we had another paper on fire event, but it was just standard
print output that time.

Jon