Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

wrote:

(we're talking about the pump motors here.)

I am almost 100% sure that the motor is not shaded pole. A shaded pole
motor starts because of the shorted winding "shading"
a pole. This shorted winding is that heavy gauge copper loop around
the laminations. They are not very effiecient and draw almost the same
current when loaded or unloaded. Your motor sounds like a brushless DC
motor.

Well, it COULD be. But, it ONLY has one winding! Two wires plus safety
ground. And, it seems to have (really strong) magnets in the rotor. I
can't figure out how you can get a synchronous motor to run the right
direction with only one winding. It REALLY looks like one of those old
phonograph motors, just bigger.

Jon