Roger Mills

Default Installing boiler thermostat question

"David Hearn" wrote in message
Received my new thermostat today and planning on fitting it this evening.

Couple of quick questions...

Firstly, the old thermostat had marked on it 16A 250V~ and T107oC. I

assume
that means that it can switch 16A at 250V AC and switches at 107oC. The

new
one (the part suggested by Baxi Spares and KeepTheHeatOn.com) has lots of
figures on it (with what appear to be first 3 chars of part number) but

the
one for this part says 2(2)A 250V~ 90oC. Can I assume that this switches

2A
@ 250V AC and switches at 90oC? Seeing as Baxi said this was the part,

I'm
tending to believe them that 2A switching is okay - and I guess that it

just
means that the water reaches 90oC rather than 107oC now? Does this sound
okay?

Secondly, I drilled out the old siezed probe and the hole is now nice and
clear. I used an 8mm drill and it fitted fine. 7mm was too small and 8mm
was tight, but not too tight. This new probe is just under 8mm in
diameter - so it should fit. My only question is whether I just insert it
or whether I need to put anything like heat transfer stuff. From memory,
when a similar probe was removed from a similar Baxi boiler it was dry
without anything on it - so I'm assuming that's right - but I just wanted

make sure!

Thanks again.

To send email to me - remove references to NoSpam, and Spammer from my

email
address.

The thermostat switches the gas valve on your boiler** - which is very
unlikely to require more than 2 amps - so the one you have should be fine. I
don't think that you can deduce anything about the switching temperature
from the hieroglyphics in the part number - the old one certainly didn't
switch at a water temperature of 107 degC, by which time it would be well
and truly boiling! If it's a boiler stat, and if it fits, it should do the
job. I assume that the end with the electrical contacts has a knob which you
can twiddle to set the switching temperature?

It's a long time since I fitted one of these, but I seem to remember that
you are supposed to use some conducting paste to make sure that the bulb
makes good thermal contact with the pocket in the heat exchanger.

** The term "boiler" is somewhat of a misnomer - since if it *boils* the
water it is malfunctioning! A flow temperature of around 80-85 degC is what
you need for the central heating.

Roger