Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

Pete Keillor wrote:

We've got one of those damned things. Be sure and use the "washing
machine cleaner" every month or so, and use the extra rinse button.
Otherwise, soap scum builds up around the shaft seal, it fails, then
the drum bearing fails, and the cheap (NOT) fix is haul it to the shop
and have them replace the damned drum plus bearing assembly. It ain't
cheap.

Yeah, I KNEW the seals were going and the bearings were shot, but I just
DIDN'T want to tear into the thing. Fear of the unknown.

Now that I've done it once, I know it really isn't that big of a deal, and I
made up the pieces for the extractor/installer tool that they want to rent
you for $100 a day. It takes a couple hours and costs about $70 for the
kit. So, the next time it starts sounding like a 747 taking off when doing
the spin cycle, i will NOT delay ordering the rebuild kit.

Jon