Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Auto parts from eBay

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 07:27:45 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 8:57:57 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5:53:10 AM UTC-5, SBH wrote:
On 12/4/2015 1:59 AM, dangerous dan wrote:
A store on eBay has a new starter for my vehicle for $80.00. NAPA auto
parts has one starting at $130.00.
Do you think buying a starter from eBay would be a good starter?

Does anyone have any bad experiences buying auto parts, like a starter
from eBay?

The eBay store is located in the US, although the part is probably made
in China. It will be shipped from the US.

Denso is the manufacturer and is a decent brand.

I doubt this is really a Denso starter. In the beginning of the listing
in the field for manufacturer, manufacturer's part number, etc it clearly
says Crank-n-Charge. That means it's a cheap no-name, typically Chinese,

Crank-n-Charge is the name of the seller's store, and the name he uses
when he posts a listing. It doesn't say anything about what he is
selling, anymore than the names Pep Boys or NAPA determine what they
are selling.

that the lister is selling under their own house name.
Later down in the description, it does say the manufacturer is Denso, so
at the very least it's totally contradictory. Usually these kinds of listings

No contradiction at all.

don't flat out contradict, instead they list equivalent Denso, Bosch numbers
to mislead you into thinking it's made by them. But this one, flat out
says two different things.

...snip...
+1
If you look at the starters at the crankncharge website, their
descriptions typically look something like this:

CRANK-N-CHARGE
NEW 12 VOLT STARTER REPLACES KTM 60040001000, DENSO 428000-1560

But is this specific starter on their store website? The ones I
found were for alfa romeo, grand marquis

"Replaces" does not typically mean OEM.

If only one model of starter were following "replaces" I'd agree with
you. But I'm not sure it applies when there is a list of various
makes that follows.

It also says in the ad,
Manufacturer Part Number: 28100-00100-84, 28100-0C010
Interchange Part Number: 228000-3740, 228000-3742, 228000-3743

All of these look like Denso part numbers.

Still your argument has merit.

In addition, for what it's worth, the crankncharge search utility
s-u-c-k-s. If you take that DENSO part number directly from their
description and put it in the search field, you get: