Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Sunbeam Electric Blankets Keep Failing

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 02:44:03 +0000, Robert
wrote:

Same here. Had one repaired several times at my shipping expense of
course. Purchased a new one, same issue after about one year. Unit draws
about 35 watts max

How does that compare with the rating on it, or on a typical electric
blanket** the same width as yours. If it uses 35 watts, the heat
has to go somewhere, and it doesn't go back to the electric company.

**I looked at a couple ads for you but neither were rated in watts or
amps or even volts.

I have 2 electric blankets, one that I bought 40 years ago when that
landlord I wrote about wasn't giving enough heat, and another that's
at least 30 years old. They both work but it's not a fair comparison
because I rarely use either.

But when I do use it, I note that though the control goes from 1 to
10, I can't put it any higher than 1, or I can't take the heat. This
would be in a room that is 67 degrees. I think if the room were 32,
6 would still be too hot. I'm sure it just turns on full power, and
then off, but I haven't measure the watts used.

Are you careful not to fold it or put weight on the folds?. After all
there are wires inside. Of course that would only matter if there
are parellel paths and you broke one of them.

so the wires are connected, just very low heat. On the
previous unit twice was the control unit, once was the blanket connector.
No dogs, no kids, no rough use.