Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

I almost want to say it was a fault, but it may have been the design. Really, when you talk old stuff, some things just did not exist back then. Things that cause more interference.

When working on older equipment, much older, I had to learn not to expect too much.

In that case with the Tandberg I would have gotten some line filtering. they make those all put together units you can put right at the AC input, light enough so you can cut the cord even and just glue them about anywhere, just make sure they are as close to the AC inlet as possible.

To figure it all out we woukld need the print for that Tandberg. I remember working on one R2R deck that had no microprocessor. It was all gates and comparators and all that. I think it was a 9200 ??? So that one probably would have been alright, no keyboard scanning or any of that, just a bunch of switches and flipflops and gates. and then the solenoid and relay drivers, oh and the current drivers for the eddy current motors.

Simple, I liked it. I fixed it. It got sold. It got damaged in shipping. We got ****ed. I wish I would have kept it but really, I have no tapes.