Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Microwave oven repair

On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 13:23:29 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 12/06/2015 09:20 AM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 09:00:29 -0500, wrote:

Sanyo microwave oven 1995 has worked fine until recently -

Is it one of the recalled models? The affected microwaves have the model
numbers EM-C8787B UK2 (a black colour) or EM-C8787W (a white colour).

Getting 20 years out of a microwave is pretty good. Newer ones are more
powerful. Time to move on.

I have a Pennys microwave that's 29 years old (IIRC) and it still works.
I fixed it once (69-cent fuse) around 1990. It does have lower power,
which usually requires adding 25% to cooking times.

Don.
www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I used to have the Amana Radar Range Model 2.

It looked just like the early image of all microwaves.

I got it free because the springs that held the door shut had broken
off. Fixed at no cost.

Years later it had arcing in the HV cage, but I covered it with black
GE Silicone from the squeeze tube.

Finally the main transformer failed. They had four in stock, and
that's just for this region, but wanted $250 dollars for one. He
said that was the dealer price. I pointed out I could buy a whole
microwave for 100, fancy for 150. The parts guy told me to write to
Amana Iowa, so I did, and they told me to contact some guy in
Harrisburg. I thought he'd been instructed to give me a deal, since
no one else was going to pay anything for an old microwave like this,
let alone 250. But it was like starting at the beginning again.

So I threw it away.

In a a very old post here I gave details of how long it lasted, so it
must have lasted until 1990, but i forget exactly and I forget when
they were made.