BillR

Default Installing boiler thermostat question

David Hearn wrote:
Received my new thermostat today and planning on fitting it this
evening.

Couple of quick questions...

Firstly, the old thermostat had marked on it 16A 250V~ and T107oC. I
assume that means that it can switch 16A at 250V AC and switches at
107oC. The new one (the part suggested by Baxi Spares and
KeepTheHeatOn.com) has lots of figures on it (with what appear to be
first 3 chars of part number) but the one for this part says 2(2)A
250V~ 90oC. Can I assume that this switches 2A @ 250V AC and
switches at 90oC? Seeing as Baxi said this was the part, I'm tending
to believe them that 2A switching is okay - and I guess that it just
means that the water reaches 90oC rather than 107oC now? Does this
sound okay?

Should be ok and its unlikely to have to switch much current anyway.

Secondly, I drilled out the old siezed probe and the hole is now nice
and clear. I used an 8mm drill and it fitted fine. 7mm was too
small and 8mm was tight, but not too tight. This new probe is just
under 8mm in
diameter - so it should fit. My only question is whether I just
insert it or whether I need to put anything like heat transfer stuff.
From memory, when a similar probe was removed from a similar Baxi
boiler it was dry without anything on it - so I'm assuming that's
right - but I just wanted to make sure!

Thanks again.

The boiler thermostats I've replaced were just push fit into the hole.
Any heat transfer compound that doesn't set hard is likely to run out in a
short time...