Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

Well I guess it is my turn.

NAP bigscreen no sound - vertical control IC.

Everything runs off the data and clock lines. This IC does the "S" correction and things like that pertaining to linearity. It is of course bus addressed. The one line, data or clock, doesn't matter, was clamping the signal down to like 2 volts. Leaky. That meant the data from the EPROM was not read when the unit got initialized so it did not know which sound system it had and never upped that.

Sony 32" loses green and blue - adjust vertical height.

This was an interesting comedy of failure mode. Apparently when they came out with AKB a had to be done to the CRT aperture grill frame. It reflected too much. The CRT had just been replaced. The way I figure it they used a dud from a non-AKB set. When the pulses feeding the cathodes to detect the current got to the frame they reflected like all hell and told the circuit there was too much green, and then blue as the circuit drifted a bit and brought the lines over the metal. I found this out with the scope. I mean, there is no green but it is getting alot of green feedback. WTF !

And THEN, to adjust the vertical you use a service menu. Guess what color the numbers and letters are in that menu. They were not red but if you left the set on for a while all you had was red.

I got some good ones about cars too.