Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chuck[_20_] Chuck[_20_] is offline

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 14:28:24 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 12/3/2015 6:34 AM, Mark Zacharias wrote:
OK, so it appears there is very little to discuss on this group in areas
like repairing audio components, amps, receivers, power supplies, etc
these days.

I "tune in" here almost daily and rarely find anything of interest to me.

Maybe we could share some "war stories" of cool repairs we have done in
the past.

Re-live some past glories?

The first time you traced down a bad reset line for a microprocessor?

That integrated amp that blew a channel about once a year until you
caught that bias diode occasionally opening up?

Sansui 5000A's? (yuck)

Crappy Euro caps in Tandberg tape decks?

Those times you sweated whether you could even get this thing put back
together?

Any more recent successs stories to brag about?

C'mon, don't we all enjoy patting ourselves on the back, really?

Mark Z.

In the late 80s early 90's I worked on VCR's. The Fisher FVH 906,
had a tuner that went defective, no schematic, a replacement part only.
That's ok under warranty, but after that, the part cost was to high to
get a repair ok. So one day, I decided to see if I could find out what
the cause of the failure was. I started spraying parts with freeze mist
and found when I hit a 1uf 35V cap the picture came back. I made a lot
of repairs, replacing that same cap on a whole bunch of tuners.
I'd do the same thing every time, dribble 2 or 3 drops of freeze mist
on the cap and the picture came in.

I had a customer bring in a remote for repair, it checked out fine.
He took it home and called saying it didn't work. I talked to him a bit
and found he had just install new CFL lights. I suggested he shield that
light and try it. It worked, I had just read about that in a trade
magazine two days previous.
Mikek

I got in early on the VCR curve, they were expensive, commanding high
service rates, then when prices dropped we had a high volume of repairs,
rode it down until the price was close to $200, then I moved to Florida.
A year later the tech that took my place said he came in a couple days
a week to repair the few that came in. I repaired a little over 11,000
vcr's in ten years, it was a good time.

In a similar vein to your remote story, we sold an $1800 Tandberg
cassette deck that came to the shop over and over again for not
responding to the transport keys. In the shop it always worked
perfectly. I decided to go to the customer's house after work to see
what the problem was. At his house, the keys didn't work. I spotted
a light dimmer on the wall. Turning it off and the deck worked
perfectly.

---