Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

On 12/5/2015 6:52 AM, Mark Zacharias wrote:
Things that are second nature to us now were "learning experiences" back
then, yes?

At my first job as a tech, about the second piece I ever worked on was a
Pioneer SX-828.

Yup - the infamous "blue Sanyo cap" scenario.

Except I had never heard of that and had no tech support or even a more
experienced tech along side me.

I was totally on my own, as I usually was during the first 15 or 20
years of my career.

Symptom: one channel gone, just a low hiss. Preamp issue.

Tracing signal - got it, don't got it, and so on.

In the tone amp, DC voltage low at collector of one transistor.

1.5uF Sanyo coupling cap to base was leaky, driving that stage into
saturation.

Felt really good about that one.

Mark Z.

I had an SX-828, bought it sometime in the early 70s.
Been so many years, I don't recall the problem, but
I tossed it about two years ago, just too much stuff.

Mikek