Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default Xpelair XRH Remote Humidistat stopped working

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 12:16:22 PM UTC, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 10:45:47 AM UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
sm_jamieson writes:
My Xpelair XRH Remote Humidistat has just stopped working. Just outside the 12 months warranty of course.
The thing uses a nylon woven band to sense, and I guess some type of microswitch to activate. The thing is basically electro-mechanical.

Traditionally, those sensors were horse hair in which case hair spray
is probably instant-death. They might be something man-made now.
However, I'm surprised a switch which is only a year old is not using
an electronic sensor element.

The woven nylon band is about 70mm long. I believe it is more sensitive than an electronic sensor when properly working. Its strange how it suddenly stopped working though, which makes me think it may be an insect inside or whatever. When I'll have time to look though who knows. I'll have to tell the family to switch it on manually.
The guts of the thing is a sensor available from RS if it comes to that.
Simon.

the guts of it is this:
http://www.etcsupply.com/manuals/ranco_humidity.pdf