Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Xpelair XRH Remote Humidistat stopped working

In article ,
sm_jamieson writes:
My Xpelair XRH Remote Humidistat has just stopped working. Just outside the 12 months warranty of course.
The thing uses a nylon woven band to sense, and I guess some type of microswitch to activate. The thing is basically electro-mechanical.

Traditionally, those sensors were horse hair in which case hair spray
is probably instant-death. They might be something man-made now.
However, I'm surprised a switch which is only a year old is not using
an electronic sensor element.

I noticed it did not switch on when the shower was operated, then required turning up much higher to activate after a shower. It did however switch off after a while.
But definitely it has suddenly started playing up. I suppose there could be a spider in there, or maybe it does not like hairspray.
Anyone got one of these and had any problems ?

A problem with a humidity sensor at this time of year is that it has
been 100% RH outside some of the time, and depending on the ventilation
and heating in the room, that can trigger it and/or significantly
reduce the change in humidity which the fan can achieve.

--
Andrew Gabriel