Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

Mark Zacharias wrote:

OK, so it appears there is very little to discuss on this group in areas
like repairing audio components, amps, receivers, power supplies, etc these
days.

I "tune in" here almost daily and rarely find anything of interest to me.

Maybe we could share some "war stories" of cool repairs we have done in the
past.

Re-live some past glories?

** Ok, here is a wacky one:

I once had a customer who rented out DJ systems: turntable & mixer consoles, stereo amps and speakers. DJs back then owned a collection of LPs and generally rented audio gear on a daily basis.

So I got this TT console with the complaint while it started off OK, it was losing volume & changing tone after a while becoming duller and duller until full treble was needed to correct it.

The story sounded dubious, but I checked out the mixer thoroughly using hot air and an all day soak test - result negative, it worked fine all the time.

Handed it back to the hire business guy and a week later it was returned with the SAME complaint plus some hostility that I had clearly not fixed it. Naturally it passed all tests again.

I had a chat with the hire guy and he agreed to use the console himself at a gig and of course it worked fine all night. Next time it went out on hire, he got the same complaint from the same DJ - who was by now ropable that nothing had been done about the problem.

So my hire guy paid a visit to the venue where the gear was being used, his first. When he walked in, he was nearly deafened by the volume and the sound was absurdly shrill. On approaching the DJ and noticing that volume and treble controls were all maxed out - he was told:

" See what I mean ??

Sounds **** weak and there's no treble."

..... Phil