Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default black & decker firestorm power drill

On 12/4/2015 10:08 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"dilbert firestorm" wrote in message
hey all...

my B&D firestorm power drill appears to have quit working. I have 2
batteries and they look like they're the problem. anyone know of a good
source of cheap batteries for it?

For the price of the batteries, I would go to Lowes and get a Dewalt that is
on sale for $ 89 that comes with 2 batteries.

+1

I don'tknow what it is with the replacement batteries for almost all
devices, but they seem to run almost as much as the tool and new batteries.

Yup. I opt for corded tools wherever possible. The last thing I need
when I take on a project is to find the battery flat -- then, after
waiting for it to recharge, discovering that it won't hold a
significant charge. Or, perhaps, any charge at all!

So, I'm "suddenly" faced with making a new purchase -- instead of
tackling the job at hand.

I have a very good Mikita drill the batteries quit on me years ago and when
checking on the price of batteries, decided to go with a new Dewalt. If
that Dewalt batteries quit, I will probably just buy a whole new combination
drill and batteries of some brand. Maybe the same brand, and maybe another.

I had a delightful little cordless soldering iron many years ago.
Came up to temperature almost instantly (push button to turn on).
But, as it didn't see regular use, the battery eventually failed.
Do I buy another? Or, an entire replacement iron? Or, just
resolve myself to live with the corded irons and keep an outlet
(or extension cord) nearby whenever in use?

[Ans: the latter]

BTW, I've saved a couple of cordless drills to convert to "hand/foot-crank"
generators! Far more available power than you can get from the toy
hand-crank flashlights. Much less than what's available from a genset
or car alternator -- but also easy to use indoors without having to
rely on a fuel source! (other than the fuel source that keeps your
body running)