Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chuck[_20_] Chuck[_20_] is offline

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 06:34:55 -0600, "Mark Zacharias"
wrote:

OK, so it appears there is very little to discuss on this group in areas
like repairing audio components, amps, receivers, power supplies, etc these
days.

I "tune in" here almost daily and rarely find anything of interest to me.

Maybe we could share some "war stories" of cool repairs we have done in the
past.

Re-live some past glories?

The first time you traced down a bad reset line for a microprocessor?

That integrated amp that blew a channel about once a year until you caught
that bias diode occasionally opening up?

Sansui 5000A's? (yuck)

Crappy Euro caps in Tandberg tape decks?

Those times you sweated whether you could even get this thing put back
together?

Any more recent successs stories to brag about?

C'mon, don't we all enjoy patting ourselves on the back, really?

Mark Z.

The receiver tech was flummoxed by one of those large 1970s Pioneer
receivers. It had a problem none of us had seen before and we were a
high volume audio chain. There was slight audio distortion on both
channels, only on FM. We all worked commission only so I was the only
one to volunteer to help him out. To cut to the chase, the receiver
had an over designed mute circuit that was 3 or 4 stages deep, At the
deepest stage there was one of the Sanyo electrolytics that became a
common failure item many years later which was slightly leaky.

I've got another one. In the early 80s there were these 19" Hitachi
tvs that ghosted. It looked exactly like a bad delay line. By that
time I ran the TV service department for the same company. We had
just switched over to the big box store concept and I was inundated
with broken tvs. Out of desperation, I switched out the CRT and the
ghosting disappeared. We sold 1000s of these sets and I saw the
problem 3 more times.

And another. Kenwood sold these Funai made cd changers that never
worked properly. All of them would come back with skipping or not
playing discs problems. Kenwood came out with 3 or 4 mods, none which
worked. Sometimes they would work for months before they came back.
Somehow I found out if the mechanism retaining springs were stretched
so the mechanism didn't sag at all, the problem disappeared. Called
up Kenwood and they put out a mod kit that included strong springs
which also didn't allow any downward movement of the mechanism.

Last one. There were these very expensive ADS cd players which would
play any disc except a ,very popular at the time, Jimi Hendrix Ryko
disc. Couldn't find any electronic or mechanical problems. I slightly
moved the CD turntable slightly down on the spindle and this disc and
all other discs would play.

---