Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Auto parts from eBay

trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5:53:10 AM UTC-5, SBH wrote:
On 12/4/2015 1:59 AM, dangerous dan wrote:
A store on eBay has a new starter for my vehicle for $80.00. NAPA auto
parts has one starting at $130.00.
Do you think buying a starter from eBay would be a good starter?

Does anyone have any bad experiences buying auto parts, like a starter
from eBay?

The eBay store is located in the US, although the part is probably made
in China. It will be shipped from the US.

Denso is the manufacturer and is a decent brand.

I doubt this is really a Denso starter. In the beginning of the listing
in the field for manufacturer, manufacturer's part number, etc it clearly
says Crank-n-Charge. That means it's a cheap no-name, typically Chinese,
that the lister is selling under their own house name.
Later down in the description, it does say the manufacturer is Denso, so
at the very least it's totally contradictory. Usually these kinds of listings
don't flat out contradict, instead they list equivalent Denso, Bosch numbers
to mislead you into thinking it's made by them. But this one, flat out
says two different things.

It's been my experience on Ebay that when it's really made by Denso, Bosch,
etc, then they put that right in the listing header, because it's a
premium part and they want people to see it when they look at all the
listings. Also, typically when it's a part from a major manufacturer,
the picture shows it, has the manufacturer's name in the pic, a pic of
the box, etc. This one has a generic pic. I wouldn't buy it. I only
buy ones on Ebay where it's absolutely clear what I'm getting. There
are plenty of cheap, crap Chinese parts out there. Even then I've
heard some reports of people getting counterfit parts, where it's still
Chinese junk packaged to try to look like a Lemforder, Bosch, etc.

Though, I'd buy from
Rock auto first

https://www.rockauto.com/

They have a great reputation with more selections and prices to suit
your need.

+1

I always look at local pricing too, eg Advance Auto. And as someone
else mentioned, if a core exchange is involved, factor that in.
Shipping back a core versus dropping it off locally can eat up the
worth of the core.

I from now and then go to a wrecking yard called "you pick" We
can bring our own tool or rent tools there. Once my wife's Mitsu.
AWD mini wagon windshield wiper transmission ass'y needed a replacement.
I went there and found an identical vehicle, I took out the whole ass'y.
Cost 20.00. They lined up the wrecked cars by brand and model. Fun place
to go. It all depends on what you need. Some eBay sellers have good
reputation. Also eBay protects your money in case you got bad stuff.