Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

On 12/3/2015 6:34 AM, Mark Zacharias wrote:

C'mon, don't we all enjoy patting ourselves on the back, really?

Mark Z.

I posted this an hour ago, but it hasn't shown up, so I'll do it again.

Back 30 years ago I stopped at a consumer electronics/TV repair shop
and presented my resume. I had been to many manufacturer service
training seminars and had a hand full of certificates of completion. The
owner looked it over and said, "I just hired a guy, I wish you came in
earlier." So I went home and about 45 minutes later he called and said,
"I see you have a lot of Sony training, I have this projection TV in
here that nobody can fix, I'd be happy to pay you for looking at it."
So I drove down and got the manual, noted the problem was, no output
from the 3 tubes. I started poking around in the HV section, and within
minutes the owner said, hey you got it working! I didn't know it was
working ;-} I put my head out front and it had an output.
Hmm, I unhooked my scope probe and the picture went with it.
From there, we, more he, figured out one of the other techs replaced a
cap with 1/10 the proper value, the scope probe hanging on the test
point had enough capacitance to make the set work.
He hired me that day, it was good, within two blocks of my house.
So, I got a job by accident.
Mikek