Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default GFCI's

On 12/03/2015 3:20 PM, Don Y wrote:

My problem *has* to be related to the GFCI characteristics of the
"circuit".
And, not the GFCI detection itself (faulty breaker) but, rather, some
aspect of what it is testing that the current configuration happens
to "tickle" -- and, only in those cases where it *does* tickle (also
accounting for those cases where it *doesn't*!)

Agreed, and all I'm suggesting doing is eliminating one possible source
for that place...it could be there's a damaged area but not drastically
such that it's visibly obvious that's let some moisture in and after a
short time it "bakes" it out locally to the point the problem isn't
apparent. But, as you've demonstrated, when it is off for any period of
time, there's enough inside there to recreate the leakage path.

Now, granted, it's possible it's in one of these other locations but
again, it seems silly and the _most_ time-consuming and least likely to
reach nirvana quickest to start down all of the various other components
looking for the case when there's still one common component that hasn't
been yet eliminated. (Unless, of course, you just happen to be lucky
and it's the first one you try, but that is again back to the luck of
the draw, nothing you've done via "scientific method". At least I'm
starting with a common cause location.

(Besides, just think how much fun you'll have when you can say "I told
you so!!!!")