Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default GFCI's

On 12/3/2015 2:36 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 19:56:58 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/2/2015 7:35 PM,
wrote:

What brand panel and breaker?

Old CH.

Bolt on or snap on? I've seen a lot of issues lately on the old CH
panels - (I'm talking from the '70s) - failing breakers and no direct
replacements - so guys put in the new ones and butcher the panel cover
to make them fit.

Meter center has KWHr meter and mains input on left side
(power feeds from below grade). Right side is just a
"load center".

Two bus bars run the length (height) of the panel, interleaving
the two "hot legs" (i.e., a double wide breaker ends up straddling
both legs).

Bus bars have large "tongues" that protrude at right angles above
the bars. Underside of breakers have a tight slot that grabs onto
this tongue. (other "end" of breaker has a lip that clips over
a metal/grounded mechanical support).

So, lift side of breaker that adheres to the tongue, pivoting on
the other side that is clipped behind that metal lip. Breaker
is then free to be removed -- save for any conductors that
are tied to it (e.g., neutral pigtail, neutral load and hot
load for GFCI; hot load for regular breaker)

Panel is at least 35 years old (so, I've been chasing down
NOS spares before they become unobtanium). But, everything is
still intact.

The GFCI's were purchased "new" many years ago. Note that
there are 5 in the panel; three of which see everyday use
(kitchen countertops plus bathrooms) and have never complained
(despite large loads -- toaster oven, electric frying pan,
hair dryers, etc.).

Fourth GFCI has just been "stored" in the panel. It was the
candidate that I exploited to replace the GFCI for this
outlet branch circuit.

I.e., too many coincidences wouold have to occur for me
to conclude it was a GFCI (*breaker*) problem.

shrug I'll look at it this weekend. I've got some candy
that I've got to make, today (while SWMBO is "away")