Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default GFCI's

On 12/03/2015 1:21 PM, Don Y wrote:

Sorry, I don't mean to sound ****y but "try this" is not what
I'm looking for. I want to approach the problem logically
not willy-nilly. I'd hoped someone might have *definitive*
information of problems like this instead of a litany of
hit-or-miss attempts. I.e., an explanation that reconciles
ALL of the observations I've posted.

(sigh)

One quick one is the possibility of the extension cord having a fault
(particularly as noted, if it's one of the pretty-common type with the
indicator light in the plug). It's a common element in all the
combinations done to date and is simple as compared to many of the other
things you've tried already or proposing to eliminate.

"Willy-nilly" is pretty much what you've done to date; the above is, as
noted, one common element in all. It may _not_ have any bearing but
then again, if it just turned out to be so, then all the other
pontificating is of little value.

(PS) And, no, on the GFCI circuit breaker I'm not specifically aware --
don't have any and plan to live out my life that way. If it's not
feasible, then ok, so be it.