Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

Mark Zacharias wrote:
OK, so it appears there is very little to discuss on this group in areas
like repairing audio components, amps, receivers, power supplies, etc these
days.

I "tune in" here almost daily and rarely find anything of interest to me.

Maybe we could share some "war stories" of cool repairs we have done in the
past.

Re-live some past glories?

The first time you traced down a bad reset line for a microprocessor?

My first computer was a Franklin Ace 1000 that was give to me broken. It
had complete schematics so I was able to trace out what was in fact a bad
reset signal going to the CPU. Pretty sure it was a 74S161 (something that
ran hot and wasn't LS series) that had to be swapped out and it was fine
again. Donor chip came from an arcade machine board. Looking that part up
I see it's a 4 bit counter- if that's correct it may have someting to do
with the video timing signals which were a weird hack in the Apple ][
which this machine was an improved clone of.