Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

On 03/12/2015 12:34, Mark Zacharias wrote:
OK, so it appears there is very little to discuss on this group in areas
like repairing audio components, amps, receivers, power supplies, etc
these days.

I "tune in" here almost daily and rarely find anything of interest to me.

Maybe we could share some "war stories" of cool repairs we have done in
the past.

Re-live some past glories?

The first time you traced down a bad reset line for a microprocessor?

That integrated amp that blew a channel about once a year until you
caught that bias diode occasionally opening up?

Sansui 5000A's? (yuck)

Crappy Euro caps in Tandberg tape decks?

Those times you sweated whether you could even get this thing put back
together?

Any more recent successs stories to brag about?

C'mon, don't we all enjoy patting ourselves on the back, really?

Mark Z.

My favourite was the car audio cassette player, ie no record function.
It recorded vinyl record clicks on to any prerecorded tape played in there.
Answer at end of spoiler defeat, run of +

+

+

+

+

The pinch wheel had a tiny piece of magnet fragment embedded in it