Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Karl, Leon, others: Advice for hanging cabinets wanted.

On 12/2/2015 8:32 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/2/15 6:48 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 12/2/2015 6:36 PM, Swingman wrote:
I use a laser level to establish the top line of the base cabinets, shim
them to the line, then measure up from there for the bottom of the wall
cabinets.

We usually install the base cabinets first.

At that point I joint a 2 x 4 perfectly flat, as long as necessary,
attach/screw that to the wall, perfectly level, for your all cabinets to
sit upon, thusly:

Another example, clearly showing the top of base cabinet line we
established FIRST.

(Leon completely lost his head that day):

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...45422630596018

That's an amazing set of cabinets!
I notice you went with top first, then base on this job. That's what
I've seen advised from most people. The other post you said you did the
base, first.

What are *your* reasons for both?

If you install the top cabinets first, the bottom cabinets are not in
the way. ;~) Remember, the bottom cabinets stick out from the wall
twice as far as the top cabinets.

BUT if the floor is unlevel putting the base cabinets in first, and
level, assures you of how high the tops will be so that you can
maintain a consistant distance between the top of the base and the
bottom of the top cabinets.