Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Karl, Leon, others: Advice for hanging cabinets wanted.

On 12/2/2015 5:59 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I'm entertaining the idea of hiring a helper, mainly for lifting and
holding in place. I'm also entertaining the idea of buying/building
some adjustable cabinet lifts to hold against the wall and steady for
attaching. I'd rather invest in tools than pay a helper, but my mind's
not made up yet.

First order of business is to get your blocking in the wall for the top
of the base cabinets, and the top, and bottom, of the wall cabinets,
similar to this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...261 359111762

I use a laser level to establish the top line of the base cabinets, shim
them to the line, then measure up from there for the bottom of the wall
cabinets.

We usually install the base cabinets first.

At that point I joint a 2 x 4 perfectly flat, as long as necessary,
attach/screw that to the wall, perfectly level, for your all cabinets to
sit upon, thusly:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...7 30363468274

Personally, I would not waste money on a cabinet lift system of any
kind, unless you're working alone.

I've seen techniques where cabinets are attached to each other, first on
the floor, then listed into place on the wall as an attached group. Does
this save time?

We try to attach as long a run of cabinets together as possible (that
two people can handle) prior to lifting them up on the aforementioned
leveled 2 x 4's, simply because it saves time in shimming a run to the wall.

To do this, it is advantageous to have a flat surface to work from ...
we usually use a sheet of plywood on the island cabinets, or a flat floor.

We then shim and screw the wall cabinets to the wall, starting at the
top, making sure they are level in all planes.

Have a ton more photos if you think they would be helpful.

Ask away ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net