Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Antifreeze? Where did it go?

Don Y wrote:
On 12/2/2015 1:09 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 12/2/2015 2:05 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/2/2015 1:03 PM, Muggles wrote:

My old van seem to use anti-freeze like it's soda pop. I even had
my mechanic check to see if there's a leak somewhere, and he
didn't find a leak. So, does it just get used up and evaporate,
or some other explanation?

Today, I filled up the radiator, plus I added more to the overflow
container. It took it quite a while before it finally put out any
heat from the vents, so at least my heat is working again.

Could be boiling over (stuck thermostat). Or, could have a bad
gasket. Any signs of it in your motor oil??

I just checked the oil and it looked like oil should look, so I don't
think so.

You need to look at the *drained* oil to see what sorts of stuff
puddles on top. Looking at the dip stick is like trying to
decide how many people are at a party by looking through the keyhole.

Nope , if there's coolant in the oil it will form an emulsion that closely
resembles grease . Other than that , antifreeze has some serious corrosion
problems with main and rod bearing inserts . Doesn't take a whole long time
to blow up the motor .
--
Snag