Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default GFCI's

On 12/02/2015 1:59 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/2/2015 12:31 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/02/2015 1:08 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/2/2015 11:54 AM, dpb wrote:

Hadn't seen the duplicated test result...

I'd stick with the thermal issue and I'd suspect the cord if it's
one of those w/ the indicator lamp built into the plug.

The fact that the different strings don't appear to make any
difference to the result *suggests* it's not in the "load".

I just had basically agreed with that assessment...as said, hadn't seen
that diagnostic result previously.

This leaves outlets, wiring and extension cord.

The fact that lights plugged into extension cord doesn't cause a
problem on another branch circuit suggests the cord MIGHT not be a
problem (it could still be "leaky" and the non-GFCI doesn't notice
that).

Precisely; since you later say you have other extension cords
I suggest swapping it out on the same breaker next before doing anything
more involved.

I can remove receptacles from the wiring (a bit of a hassle to remove
the "outdoor" covers, remove the receptacle, then remove the two
conductors -- I can leave the safety ground as long as I ensure the
receptacle is "dangling freely")

Isolating portions of the wiring gets to be a bit more involved;
instead of "daisy chaining" through the second set of contacts on the
receptacles, I tie the upstream and downstream wiring together with
wire nuts and run a pigtail off to the receptacle. This ensures the
receptacle is not "in series" with the downstream devices.

Any of that starts to seem pretty far-fetched to me albeit almost
anything is possible. OH, just a really far-out thought--you don't have
any of the "crazy ants" there, do you? They can cause all kinds of
really bizzaro thingos/symptoms if they've found a receptacle box and
set up shop...