Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Antifreeze? Where did it go?

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 3:15:29 PM UTC-5, Retired wrote:
On 12/2/15 3:09 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 12/2/2015 2:05 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/2/2015 1:03 PM, Muggles wrote:

My old van seem to use anti-freeze like it's soda pop. I even had my
mechanic check to see if there's a leak somewhere, and he didn't find a
leak. So, does it just get used up and evaporate, or some other
explanation?

Today, I filled up the radiator, plus I added more to the overflow
container. It took it quite a while before it finally put out any heat
from the vents, so at least my heat is working again.

Could be boiling over (stuck thermostat). Or, could have a bad gasket.
Any signs of it in your motor oil??

I just checked the oil and it looked like oil should look, so I don't
think so.

My mechanic said he checked everything because I put it in the shop
specifically because I thought it had a radiator leak somewhere.

The thermostat gauge moves from cold to warm(er) as the engine warms up,
so that appears to be working as far as I can tell. The mechanic
checked that thing, too.

If an external leak is not obvious, and the oil is normal, then most
likely coolant is leaking into a cylinder and being burned out the
exhaust.

Have your mechanic do a compression test to look for a blown head gasket.

or it is leaking onto an exhaust pipe and evaporating.
Had a Taurus that did that, and you could smell it easily.

Mark