Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default screwfix titan pillar drill

On 02/12/2015 17:23, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Has anyone seen Screwfix's own brand Titan pillar drill:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb5...ill-240v/16108

I have had a budget model which looks similar to this for ten years or
so. I don't disagree with Bob's comments but I've drilled holes up to 20
mm or so in 1/4 inch steel plate with it. Using the lowest speed,
lubricant, and a bit of care.

A pillar drill gives you much more accuracy than you can achieve by
hand, and having a proper vice which you can clamp to the table helps to
avoid the most common accident caused by "snatch" when drilling smaller
items held on the bench by hand.

"Spec" isn't everything, things like the quill accuracy and smoothness
come into it, but it really all depends on what you want to use it for.
If you need the accuracy, you might get much better value from a second
hand "quality" tool although you might need to replace the chuck because
of wear.

If you also have a small lathe, it is worth having a removable chuck on
a Morse taper, then you can use morse taper drills in both.