Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Amazon review process

On 12/2/2015 8:32 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 12/2/2015 8:09 AM, Don Y wrote:

The fact that they even allow "unverified reviews" is a sleazy practice.
Gee, with the volume of sales that they report, they can't find
bonafide customers to testify regarding the products that they sell?

Just about everyone I've bought from on Amazon ends up requesting me to write a
review of the product I purchased. I have neither the time nor the inclination
to do so, and I suspect most buyers feel the same way. Instead, I selectively
review.

I "give feedback" to vendors about products, not reviews for other
(potential/current) customers -- for much the same reason that I ignore
other folks' reviews of items.

For software products, "customer service" or "policies" -- i.e.,
things that can be relatively easily changed and put into effect
ongoing or retroactively (e.g., software upgrades for existing
customers), I try to give that feedback relatively quickly.

For material changes to products -- things that require time to
get implemented in "manufacturing" -- I take a much longer view,
letting my experiences with the product accumulate until I can
offer a more comprehensive review. In these cases, the current
product may NEVER benefit from my comments; but, some newer
product *may*!

(E.g., my review of our new vehicle will take many months to
complete. There's no chance my comments will affect other
2016 purchases. And, probably only the "easier fixes" will
see their way into 2017 model year offerings.)

But there's a place for reviews by unverified purchasers. Often most of the
purchases are made at another retailer, not Amazon, and the reviews serve to
help people searching online for reviews and price comparisons of those
particular products. I see that all the time with products that are
predominantly purchased at Costco for much less than what a third-party seller
is offering them for on Amazon.com.

Then why not simply state: "Buy this from Costco, instead of Amazon!"
For many folks, I suspect that's more valuable than "touchy, feely"
comments about an item.

And unverified reviewers may have something
useful to say about a product. If you're ever suspecting a shill, check the
reviewer's review history on Amazon. You can usually figure out quickly if the
person has a history of something useful and apparently genuine to say about
products - or not.

So, what is needed is a "review of reviewers"? : And, a review of review
reviewers??