Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default screwfix titan pillar drill

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Has anyone seen Screwfix's own brand Titan pillar drill:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb5...ill-240v/16108

It sounds quite good. It has a page and half of glowing reviews,
although the last three are very critical, so I don't know which to
believe.

I thought I read here that 500W induction motors were recommended for
an entry level pillar drill? This is 500W but it doesn't say whether
it is induction or not; does anyone know?

It says the spindle travel is only 50mm. That doesn't seem much. Is
that average for a pillar drill? Are there any better out there?

Am I right to think that the chuck to table distance is not that
relevant because you could swing the drill through 180 degrees to
drill larger items?

The remaining figure is the throat depth which is 115mm. How does this
compare to other makes? Is it restrictive? It doesn't sound much being
what, just over 4 inches.

Here is the spec copied and pasted:

500W Motor
9-Speed
16mm Keyed Chuck
0-45° Left & Right Table Tilt
Cast Iron Table
View more information

Product contents:
Pillar drill, laser combination, shield, spindle pulley, counter
wheel, magnetic switch and chuck guard.

Specifications:
W x D x H: 300 x 610 x 610mm. Table W x D: 170 x 170mm. Spindle travel
50mm. Throat depth 115mm. Chuck to table 270mm. Chuck to base 330mm.
No load speed 280-2350rpm. Weight 20kg.

Thanks,
Stephen.

Basically it is a toy drill but might suit light hobby use.
No way is 500w enough to drive a 5/8 drill through a block of steel -
but you possibly don't want that.
50mm quill travel is quite limiting and you will have to raise and lower
the table regularly in the steps of drilling from pilot drill to final
size, thus losing centre accuracy.
If you thought about the motor it could not be anything else but an
induction motor - universal motors would be far too fast to drop the
speed simply with belts.
Don't expect much from the laser in the way of accuracy.

Are there better? yes of course but you will have to pay a proper price