Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

"trader_4" wrote in message

But you didn't buy a precision USB charger either. You bought a
typical made in China widget, marketed not by Apple, Sony, etc,
which typically vets those products, maintains some control over them,
but by a company called "Hype", which could be run out of someone's
bedroom for all we know. It's typical that these have documentation
errors, language translation errors, etc. And some of them are just
junk on top of that.

Some of the China stuff is junk, but some surprises me. I bought some DC
volt metes that were mainly a circuit board with a display on it. Good from
0 to 99.9 volts. Out of the 4 that I bought for about $ 6 total including
shipping all but 1 followed my Fluke meter up to about 30 volts which was
the limit of the poewr supply I used to test them and the other one was off
by the last digit most of the time which is often normal. That was reading
to the tenth of a volt.

My $ 27 ham band handy takey from China works as well as any other one form
Japan that costs 5 times as much.