Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 11:16:27 AM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:
tlvp wrote, on Wed, 02 Dec 2015 01:30:49 -0500:

Bought any resistors or capacitors lately? Resistors are commonly sold
with nominal values +/- 20%; capacitors, with +100/-50%. +/-15% may not
be high precision, but it's better than common precision .

And anyway, 35 isn't a whole 15% less than 40, it's only 12.5% less, if
we're going to try for highest arithmetic precision here . No big deal.

If I bought a precision resistor, and it was off by 15%, I'd be upset.

But you didn't buy a precision USB charger either. You bought a
typical made in China widget, marketed not by Apple, Sony, etc,
which typically vets those products, maintains some control over them,
but by a company called "Hype", which could be run out of someone's
bedroom for all we know. It's typical that these have documentation
errors, language translation errors, etc. And some of them are just
junk on top of that.

You said you bought over half a dozen. Have you tried another one?
If it works, send the bad one back. If it doesn't work, send them
all back and get another product.