Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default Amazon review process

On 12/2/2015 8:09 AM, Don Y wrote:

The fact that they even allow "unverified reviews" is a sleazy practice.
Gee, with the volume of sales that they report, they can't find
bonafide customers to testify regarding the products that they sell?

Just about everyone I've bought from on Amazon ends up requesting me
to write a review of the product I purchased. I have neither the time
nor the inclination to do so, and I suspect most buyers feel the same
way. Instead, I selectively review.

But there's a place for reviews by unverified purchasers. Often most
of the purchases are made at another retailer, not Amazon, and the
reviews serve to help people searching online for reviews and price
comparisons of those particular products. I see that all the time with
products that are predominantly purchased at Costco for much less than
what a third-party seller is offering them for on Amazon.com. And
unverified reviewers may have something useful to say about a product.
If you're ever suspecting a shill, check the reviewer's review history
on Amazon. You can usually figure out quickly if the person has a
history of something useful and apparently genuine to say about
products - or not.