Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

On 12/2/2015 3:25 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

The first thing to learn about utilities is like

what you would teach someone about guns. Know how
to make them safe. With utilities, show them how to
turn them off and how to make them safe. I have locks
I used to lock out valves and electrical disconnects
to make things safe to work on.

CY: Lockout is a good idea. I can think of two moments
when someone "almost" turned on the power while I
was working.

Of course knowing how
to remove an electric utility meter when doing major
repairs to the main breaker panel or replacing the
main breaker is a good thing to learn.

CY: Someone mentioned pulling a meter, and then
got a shock. Passing utility guy found the meter
on the ground, and helpfully put it back.

Because it's possible for someone to flip a breaker on
while you're on the other side of a building working on
that circuit, turn off the breaker, remove the wire from
it and put a wire nut on it.
CY: Good one. I'd not thought of that. Or, you can leave
the breaker on (wire removed and nutted) so the perp
does not have a turned off breaker to alert him.

When I was doing major repairs to the gas lines or
anything connected to the gas service in a home or
business, I'd put a lock on the shutoff valve because
I've actually had someone fooling around the meter
who turned the damn thing on.
CY: I did padlock my own meter one time, long time
ago. It can be done.

It's a lot of fun to be replacing water lines and have
someone turn the water on at the meter.

CY: No longer a profit maker, the job was a wash?

When working on utilities, trust no one, lock it out.

The best piece of advice I can give to anyone about

working on an electrical power circuit is to get into
the habit of treating it like it is energized even
when you know it's turned off.
CY: I've found that to be wisdom.

When you have gained enough experience with wiring
electrical power circuits, you can hold the wires in
your mouth.

Seriously, a shirt pocket sized non-contact AC

voltage tester is something you should have with
your electrical tools. Many of them are dual range
and will also detect low voltage AC like what's on
a doorbell circuit. The flat plastic insulated tip
will fit into the slot of an electrical outlet and
can also be touched to an electrical outlet or
switch to indicate if it's energized. The tip can
also be touched to the insulation of a wire and it
will light up and beep if the wire is connected to
a power source. The detectors are inexpensive and
available everywhere electrical tools are sold. ʘ€¿Ê˜

CY: Including Walmart, and Harbor Freight. Good idea
to test the tester on a known live wire, make sure
it works before testing your work. If you have a
dead battery, the beeper will give you a false cold
reading, and you could be working on hot conductors.