Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

On 12/2/2015 7:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per (PeteCresswell):
Anything involving a ladder.

.... or a chain saw.

In fact, I got rid of my chain saw years ago and have used hand saws
since....

I felled a couple of (large) trees, here, with just a "bow saw":
climb into the tree (ladder); tie a rope around the limb you want
to remove; loop that rope around another limb; cut; lower to ground;
lather, rinse, repeat.

OTOH, when I got to the 18" portion of the trunk, it was much easier
to borrow a chainsaw than spend a day with the bow saw cutting the trunk
into 18" logs!

The perceived risk did not come close to balancing out the time saved.
i.e. The chain saw was just too scary for a marginally-competent
occasional user.

shrug Lots of tools are easily misused. I've read reports of folks
using wood chisels and losing an eye (I used to work for a hand-tool
manufacturer). Neighbor (cop by trade -- I guess that automatically
qualified him to operate heavy/construction machinery?) rented a backhoe
and promptly dug up a gas line. Folks flip/topple ATV's. Get electrocuted
using electrician's pliers. Cut themselves with kitchen knives. etc.

I borrowed a sawzall from a friend many years ago. Went to return it a
few weeks later:
"Keep it!"
"No, I can always come by and borrow it, again, if need be!?"
"Judy doesn't like me having sharp things around"
at which point, he displayed the missing fingertips on his hand...
(something I'd already known -- but was a poignant way to end
the discussion! : )

IME, the problem with most "tools" originates in either ignorance
(I once watched a guy using a chainsaw -- running -- like a real
saw; as if moving it back and forth was the way to cut through
the log!) or being overly tired (and getting sloppy with your thinking).