Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default GFCI's

On 12/2/2015 5:29 AM, wrote:

You're ignoring the fact that the breaker latches and HOLDS on the
"second attempt". This suggests the problem is related to the
change in load characteristics from the previous "brief lighting
event" (fraction of a second when power surged into the lamps
just before the breaker trips on the first attempt).

I'm at a loss to explain how anything else could appear and
then disappear so readily!

Unless the first application of power heated and "dried" whatever
was causing the leak. Not a very likely scenario, for sure - but
possibly just within the realm of possibility??

frown I'm at a loss. If there was a "partial short" (leak) that
somehow cleared itself, then I wouldn't expect it to return hours
later -- and the same scenario play out again. And, again.

I need to get out a watch and see how long I can wait *after* the
first breaker close before the *next* closing will NOT hold.
I.e., how long it takes the "problem" to reappear.

It it's on the order of a few minutes, it's unlikely that there's a
"partial short" (dead bug, etc.).

Note that this is a dry time of year for us -- it's not like there
are any external (or internal!) sources of water/moisture (other
than body fluids of bugs : )