Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Wrong kind of tinning?

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 5:41:31 PM UTC-5, Cydrome Leader wrote:

carbon-stretcher?

We made carbon-faced seals in one part of the shop - carbon is rather an unforgiving medium in any form. Something that got too small... well, you get the picture.

so what happens in a well run shop when everybody was trying their best,
but the fasteners were bogus? For say liquid sodium pumps for the nuclear
industry does each critical fastener get some sort of proof test?

We purchased our fasteners from SPS (Standard Pressed Steel at the time). Their factory was less than 8 miles up the road in Glenside, PA. Several of the workers in our shop would go to their shop and work on the line with their people for our orders, just as I went to the heat-treat shop a few miles from SPS to supervise the heat-treatment of some of the critical parts, sometimes days at a time. Both SPS and Dreaver (now Evans) are still in operation today, and still have such intimate relationships with their customers. We took great care with the parts we made, and every part that went into them. Some parts took very nearly two (2) years in production.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA