Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Junk : Legitimate Phone Calls - Your Ratio ?

On 12/1/2015 7:13 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 12/01/2015 02:43 PM, Don Y wrote:

[snip]

I like finding "portable" solutions -- things that others can apply
instead of just solving a problem for myself. E.g., the answering
machine with ringer off approach works very good for us.

I'm getting 2-3 calls a day from "TOLL FREE CALL" (caller ID name) with varying
numbers. Most of these leave a "blank" message on my answering machine I have
do deal with). The "message" is often just a breathing noise or something
obviously verbal with no identifiable words.

This answering machine beeps every 15 seconds when it has a new message. That
USED to be a useful feature.

I don't think a viable solution can be trivial. OTOH, I don't think it
needs to be overly complex to be effective!

E.g., I wouldn't advocate folks "training" their "answering device" to
recognize each of their desired contacts' voices -- like a sec'y would
instinctively do.

But, you could put even small hurdles in the way to inconvenience
"uninformed" callers. E.g., the example I suggested (elsewhere)
whereby you engage the caller in a bogus dialog -- and THEN drop
the call (perhaps even silently). Folks who have called more than
once will learn how to "get through" while blind callers will
have to walk through a longer procedure -- investing time (and
resources) with no idea as to how it will ever "play out"! (pay off)