Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

wrote:
On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 15:14:54 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

What fears do you have regarding home repair and including auto and
even small engine and other machines around the home, repairs?
I think everyone has at least some fears regarding home repair....

I am lefty, always afraid of wood working. Any thing else is fine.

Yea, power tools can be a fear for many, especially power saws. I'm
glad I took all the woodworking classes available when I was in high
school. I learned both skills and safety. In 45+ years of doing
construction since HS, I did manage to take the flesh off the tip of
a thumb once, on a table saw. That was the first and last time, and
was many years ago. I also ran a pole barn metal screw into my hand
once, and that hurt like hell. Since then, if I'm driving screws into
metal, I spend the time making a pilot hole first. (usually just hit
the screw with a hammer, then power drive it in).

Probably my most accidents over the years were stepping on f##king
nails. I learned to NEVER leave boards with nails laying around. I
remove the nails or bend them over. But just a few years ago, I was
helping someone demolish a shed, and he left a naily board on the
ground with a piece of drywall on top. I stepped there and that damn
spike came thru the drywall and right into my foot. I came close to
punching that guy after ripping that nail out of my foot. I had
clearly told him to remove nails, or stack boards with nails in a
pile. (I did not punch him, but I did not help him finish the job
either, since I spent the following week staying off my painful foot
and watching tv).

A friend parked his car where someone had dumped a pile of used lumber. The
friend was working his way around it in the dark and stepped on the end of a
board. The other end swung up, and a nail in it stuck firmly into his forehead.
Fortunately, the ER was only 1/4 mile away.