Posted to comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.home.repair
Bruce Sinclair Bruce Sinclair is offline

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

In article , nospam wrote:
In article , Danny D.
wrote:

You just need to know that you bought a cheap,
off-brand charger that was made in a country that is infamous for
producing shoddy and dangerous electrical devices

Try to find almost any USB charger that isn't made in China.
Even Apple chargers are, I think, made in China.
And that's as name brand as you get.

the issue not where it's made, but that it was an *off-brand* charger.

name brand chargers, and not just apple, are made to certain quality
standards.

Um ... what data do you have to back up that assertion (which seems completely
wrong IME ). Chargers that come with apparently "quality" kit seem to crap
out about as often as the non brand ones from what I've seen.

Beware particularly the "switchable voltage" supplies ... where it is possible
to select 2 voltages at the same time (not good for the plug pack I can assure
you ).

noname chargers don't care about quality. they care about how cheap
they can make it, so they end up cutting corners, which means they're
generally crap.

Chargers/power supplies are really simple things. Yes, manufacturers could
cheap out and use nasty capacitors (saving a few cents) ... and yes I'm sure
that happens. But why do you think this *doesn't* happen in the 'brand' or
expensive ones ? Paper work and quality resultsa can be faked (easily).