Posted to comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.home.repair
Bruce Sinclair Bruce Sinclair is offline

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

In article , nospam wrote:
In article , Davoud
wrote:

I would just like some advice since I melted a USB cable today
and I realized I don't have the proper troubleshooting skills...

You don't need to be an engineer, don't need all the technical details
and power formulae. You just need to know that you bought a cheap,
off-brand charger that was made in a country that is infamous for
producing shoddy and dangerous electrical devices--like the surge
protector that I bought that had the hot and ground wires soldered to
the same terminal. Be glad that it melted the the USB connector and
didn't set your house afire and kill your family. And next time, don't
be penny wise and pound foolish; buy the manufacturer's original
charger for each device.

based on what he's posted, it's more likely to be a ****ty cable than a
****ty charger.

either way, he did cheap out.

... sadly these days, price is not an indication of quality. Neither is a
brand name. Particularly since high and low priced, and "brand" and non brand
products are largely made in the same factory.