Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_6_] Tim Wescott[_6_] is offline

Default Another project

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 14:31:23 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

Yesterday when I got that CI stove door from the neighbor , I also
loaded up his hand cranked forge blower . I've got it pretty much
stripped down now and Houston , we have a problem . There are some gears
in the drive , straight cut spur gears and one helical ... and the last
gear in the train is a small helical and it is badly worn . This gear is
machined on the shaft as one piece as far as I can tell , and I'm very
doubtful it can be replaced . I'm not sure just how old it is , but he
said it was his grandfather's blower from his coal forge - which the guy
also has in his shed . Any chance one of you guys has a source for parts
for antique forge equipment ? If I can't replace the shaft I guess I
have a couple of options : I can very carefully TIG up the teeth and
hand fit the gear , or if I can find a gear with the proper pitch and
angle I can fab a new shaft .
Everything else is just straight replacing screws and machining a
couple
of bushings .

Not up to learning to cut gears, starting with small finicky ones?

If you can get the shaft out as a bare item, could you weld up the teeth
and trade favors with someone who _can_ cut gears?

Or if you're really lucky, you could find a mating gear to put onto the
shaft (assuming you don't have to cut away too much of the shaft to do
it).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services